Monday, October 27, 2014

A Night For The Initiation





      I was crossing on that pedestrian lane and met those eyes, when I realized she checked me from head to toe and obviously criticizing me. From that moment as I stayed in the area where the guard usually stays, I suddenly felt like my confidence was about to drop. I was wondering if my dress was too fancy for them to react like that and it made me regret why I wore this thing. But then again I regained my positive aura and I thought I won’t care for as long as I’m presentable and decent. As I walked on my way through the court where the party would be held, the colorful “bandiritas” was hanged all over the place and it suited the theme for the party which was Pista sa Nayon.

       The event started with the opening remarks of our emcees and eventually we had our very first game which was finding people whom I have a similar blood type for example and other categories. Then we played open the basket that added as a factor which made the atmosphere more lively. After that, everybody agreed to have our dinner because our tummies are grumbling already. I immediately stood up and went to the dining table where I was surprised that it would be a boodle fight. I haven’t yet experienced boodle fight not until that night and it was actually more kind of like exciting and fun. My mouth watered as I saw the pancit beside the rice and in the middle were the chicken, chopped lechon and lumpia. Done eating, everyone was expecting ice cream because it wouldn't be absent during fiestas and indeed there came the ice cream and we lined for it.

       I was so excited for the upcoming games and I was in the fuchsia pink team. First game was the “Longest Line” and my teammates were so fired up for it and because of our determination we won the game. The next game was called “Mary Went to Town” and it was a game wherein two baskets with ping pong balls were put in your arms, the other hand would be holding the fan and the other hand was an umbrella and your two knees would be holding the paper plate to hinder you from walking faster than usual. Excitement was present and the crowd were cheering for their own teams but then again our team won. After the series of games we had presentations from the four year levels were then followed. The place was filled with music and our Ates and Kuyas were singing their songs to entertain us. We freshmen had a different way of presenting and it was more of like an UPSTAGE performance. Fun and laughter filled the ambience because of our humorous presentation that we prepared.

       Silence found its way through the mood of the party when the speaker talked with a serious voice asking why we were a psychology student. Nobody from the freshmen dared to answer that simple yet impressive question. Being a psychology student is not just about having gone through the enrollment stage and passing the UPCAT it’s about us being able to understand people because that is our primary role. He gave us the challenge in which our membership on our association depends on it and if we fail we won’t be able to join the group. That moment gave me the chills because I saw a higher year bringing an arnis stick and the first thing that came onto my mind was hazing. But that nerve-wracking imagination of mine was not the thing that happened but it was a memorable challenge that proves how we can solve the problems when we act as one and when we unite. The challenge we faced in order to be an UPPSYMA member will remain as a secret for it to be memorable among us freshies who went through that fascinating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment