Sunday, November 16, 2014

When The Candles Are Lit



     What comes to your mind when November starts? The start of November is all about that All Saints Day and All Soul’s Day. But often times, people usually associate November as visiting of people in the graveyards. Indeed the second day of November is somewhat the highlight of November because majority of the people would visit the people whom they love who had their rest already. In these cemeteries we can observe people buying flowers and candles for the dead and even renew the paint of the place where their loved ones are buried.

      I wanted to go to our province. Usually my family and I went there during ‘All Souls Day” to visit the cemetery. But this year only my parents were able to go because my sister and I had something to do like homework. So they went there and when they came back they told us that my lolo had a small accident upon riding a speedy motorcycle when he was on his way back home from the cemetery. And they also said they cooked humba, fried fish, and biko there.

     Shortly after, we visited the cemetery where my great grandparents of my father’s side were buried. When we entered the cemetery, as expected, there were crowds of people that made it difficult for us to get through. I can see bright shining candles everywhere and families in front of the graves of their loved ones were praying fervently. Some were even talking to the grave as if the ones who were buried were listening to them. When I lighted the candles to make it stand in the grave of my great grandparents and our relatives, I felt the sincerity of the people we passed by a while ago. And then after putting up the lighted candles, it was followed by individual prayers by each of the member of my family.


      The essence of the day for the souls is purely having solemn prayers for the loved ones who parted away from us already. I can say it is also a form of a reunion to those who passed away and the ones who remained, once a year because we do not often visit cemeteries.  All the candles lighted forming a huge fire at the big cross made me realize that everyone there in the cemetery as they lit a candle indicates that we never forget. In our lives we undergo some bitter circumstances, the scar is still there but the pain left, although we never forget someone who was once there for us. So as a form of gratitude we remember and visit, put candles and beautiful fresh flowers and then pray for them for wherever they are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment