Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"Probinsyana"








        It seems nostalgic when me a “probinsyana” and my friends talk about where our provinces are.  How the sun bids farewell as the moon and the twinkling stars replace the sky, mountains full of trees and plants that makes it green and how my grandparents and my aunt would smile if we were there, all of that is what I think of when it comes to my province. Usually the word “probinsyana” is linked when you talk about provinces. You call someone a “probinsyana” if she went or lived from a province. I am a proud “probinsyana” because I had experienced a lot of things in our province together with the people whom I care most.

        Back when I was still a baby my parents were busy with their jobs that they couldn't take care of us. Me and my younger sister was given to my aunt and my grandparents so that we’ll be taken care of because they can’t  due to their work. I can still remember that I was once a crybaby and my aunt would tell me that back then whenever I cry my face would be red and even though there were no tears left I’d still cry and shout. Then she told me that there was one time that my father couldn’t handle my tantrum he carried me up and he was like going to throw me out of the window. Well I thank them for their time, patience, effort to raise an extraordinary child like me. All  I can say is that it was a blessing having them by my side and received love that was enough for me to feel loved and important.

        Growing in a province gave me a lot of memories to treasure. I can remember at my young age helping my grandmother buy vetsin for her vegetable soup and how she thanked me for that. I also used to look for coconut shell and collect them to bargain and the coins that I received will be given to m my grandmother and that made her glad. I remember the simple things for survival like cooking with the use of firewood and getting directly the ingredients from nature. I remember the time when I used my barefoot to dig a small burrow for the seeds of the corn and then burry it with soil again, that was my first time planting corn and I felt happy. Even though these things were simple it was fulfilling to because knowing that in a place you can survive and live longer because nature blessed us with the abundance of our basic needs.


        These people and place builds me and molded me for what I have become today. The simple experiences I had when I was staying there was memorable and it hit a great impact to me. Even though life there was plain it made me realize that life can be filled with happiness without doing something complicated, doing simple things can already make you happy even if others would criticize you. Life in the province was quiet but you won’t feel lonely as long as there are people there who embraces you. Being a “probinsyana” is a thing that is essential for someone like me because there is always that place you are welcome to whenever.

1 comment: